photo website_zpsf15f51e8.png

Monday, July 20, 2015

//Kaastengels - Cheese Cookies//

I grew up with these cookies. During Ied Mubarak (here) - a religious muslim celebration my - mother bake this cookies each year since I can remember until a few days a go for a Ied Mubarak.

Since Indonesia was colonized by the Dutch for hundred years a long time a go I think this is how the cookies adapted to Indonesian people to this date.

I never bake these cookies before but to celebrate Ied Mubarak this yearI asked my mother for the recipe. You know it is one of those thing that when you grow up with a certain food - you tent to neglect to know about it. And I think it is wrong.  I considered this a tradition - my family tradition. And I wanted people to now that this is something I grew up with and since now I am living a broad in the US I wanted Steven's family to know about my tradition. So after baking a lot of these cookies I packed them up and brought them over to Steven's mother and step mother. A long with a brief written explanation about the cookies. And I am very happy that they liked it.

These cookies are so delicious. If you like unsweetened cookies - this is for you. When you bite it - it is soft and crunchy at the same time. And it is super easy to make.





Recipe

Kaastengels (Cheese Cookies)

~ 1-1/2 cup flour
~ 3/4 cup grated hard gouda cheese. Please use the smallest size grater.
~ 1/2 cup margerine, plus
~ 1/2 cup Wijsman butter (here) Alhtough I never used a substitue from regular grocery I think you can use the imported butter for this.

Direction.
1. After grated the cheese, leave the cheese on the counter for over night without cover. And in the morning place the un covered cheese under the sun somewhere in your home for a few hours. This will help the cheese to get dry and add the crunchiness to the cookies.
2. Using a hand mixer - mix the two butter together and add the cheese.
3. Slowly add flour and mix by hand.
4. After putting all the flour mix the batter by hand until it reach to a consistency that it won't stick to your hand any more. Note; to be honest I do not use measurement I just go with how I feel. If it still soft and sticky please add more flour. The right consistency is when you roll the small amount of dough with both hand it wont stick and it will roll nicely. But you do not want it too hard either.
5. Then sprinkle a flour on a working board roll a small amount of dough to create a long round shape like a snake the size of your thumb.
6. Then cut it every 1-1/2 inch and put it on the lining baking tray.
7. Brush the top with egg yolk mix with butter and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
7. Bake for about 18 minutes at 350 deg.
(Note: To avoid the top egg yolk and cheese to get burn and became dark in color - I bake the cookies without the brushed egg yolk first for about 7 or 8 minutes. Then after 5 minutes when it is start to get colder I brush the half cooked cookies with egg yolk and sprinkle with grated parmesan cheese) And bake them again for another 10 minutes until it became a little brownish in color. And while you are working on brushing the egg yolk - put another tray of cookies in the oven. Alternate this will safe time)

Happy baking Everyone!

1 comment:

Thank you for your comment!