photo website_zpsf15f51e8.png

Thursday, April 18, 2013

Lemon Drop Cake {Mother's Day}

Hello,
Today's post is honoring 'a mother' for Mother's Day. Here I created a fun cake from a fun daughter to a fun mother. 

The inspiration came one day when I baked the 'Cat's Tongues' cookies or in French 'Langues de Chat' from the Laduree recipe book my husband got me a while a go. As you can see the Cat's Tongue cookies decorated circular on the side of the cake.  Then Natasha from Say G'day Saturday invited me to join her Mother's Day group pin board at Pinterest. Then I thought to myself; gee.....Mother's Day is here already! One thing lead to another I got inspired to create a special cake for Mother's Day. 

I wish my mother is here with me. Unfortunately she is in Jakarta, Indonesia. I know she will be thrilled and happy to have this cake as I know she is one crafty lady herself. I thought a lot about her when creating this cake and it's mini banners. Perhaps one day I can show her these pictures. 

First my apology for I posted so many pictures because I can't help myself. As usual I took so many pictures simply because I am very passionate about styling and photograph pretty things.

Here they are!






Lately I am into embroidery. This pink heart created using French Knot stitch I learned from Youtube. I think it is adorable. I will make a post for this embroidery in the future. 

Do you see the word 'mother' on the mini banner topper?
Mini banner topper for a cake tutorial is here.



















Although this cake is made out of a cake mix from a box; surprisingly this cake is  delicious. The secret is to pour the sugared lemon juice over the cake {recipe below}. And it's super easy to make too. 



::Recipes::

Lemon Drop Cake

~ 1 box Betty Crocker Super Moist lemon cake mix
Water, vegetable oil and eggs are needed for this cake as mentioned on the box.
~ 1/3 cup powdered sugar
~ 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (1 or 2 lemon)

1. Heat oven to 350 deg. F. Grease bottoms and sides of pan with shortening or cooking spray
2. Make cake mix as directed on box, using water, oil and eggs. Pour into pan. Bake 28 to 33 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center of cake comes out clean. Cool 15 minutes.
3. In small bowl, mix powdered sugar and lemon juice. Poke top of warm cake every 1/2 inch with fork. Drizzle and spread lemon mixture over top of cake. Refrigerate about 2 hours or until chilled. Remove cakes from pan.


Low Fat Cream Cheese Lemon Frosting.
~ 1 cup low fat cream cheese
~ 1/2 stick butter at room temperature
~ 3 table spoons truvia sugar plus 4 tablespoon regular powder sugar.
~ 2 tsp lemon juice
Mix all using electric mixer.
Spread frosting on the cake.

~~~~oo00oo~~~~

Cat's Tongue Cookies

~ 9 tbsp butter
~ 1-1/3 cup icing sugar
~ 2 tsp vanilla extract
~ 2 egg whites
~ 1-1/4 cups cake flour
Equipment; Piping bag fitted with a 5 mm plain tip

1. Cut the butter into small pieces and put in a heat proof bowl set over a pan of gently simmering water. Using a wooden spoon, soften the butter until creamy. Remove from heat and whisk until homogenous. Add the following ingredients; confectioners' sugar, vanilla and the egg whites. Whisk together.

2. Sift the flour and add to the mixture, stirring with a wooden spoon until homogenous.

3. Preheat the oven to 325 deg. F Transfer the batter to the piping bag fitted with a plain tip Pipe 2-1/3 inch long strips onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Leave space between each one, as they will spread during baking.
4. Place sheet in oven and bake for 14 minutes until golden brown. Allow the biscuits to cool to room temperature on the baking sheet before removing with a spatula. When they have cooled completely, store in an airtight container.

Variations;
You can dip the biscuits in dark, milk or white chocolate or colored white chocolate using food colouring and place on parchment paper to dry.
For recipe above; I am using white chocolate with red, blue and green food coloring.

~ A handful white baking chocolate chips (depends on the amount of cookies)
~ 1/2 tsp milk
~ food coloring of your choice
Melt over a steam water. Keep stirring until all chocolate has melted. Put a side and cool for 3 minutes then add food coloring of your choice. Immediately dip ends of each cookies and let it dry for about half an hour.

~~~oo00oo~~~

Good Luck Everyone and thank you for stopping by!

Linked to;







25 comments:

  1. Its beautiful I have the Laduree cookbook I will have to try out the recipe for cat tongues xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Aimee,
      That little book such an inspiration; isn't it!
      Thank you for stopping by!

      Ellya

      Delete
  2. Hello Ellya,

    What a beautiful cake!
    It looks to beautiful
    to eat!

    Thank you for sharing
    Bear Hugs,

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That is gorgeous. I'm sure if you send your mother these photos, she can still enjoy this cake from afar.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful Cake Beautiful Photos...Thank you for sharing!
    XO Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  5. A beautiful cake and I love the topper. Thank you so much for stopping by my blog hope to see you soon x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Exquisite presentation! You have taken lovely pictures of a magnificent creation. I have printed off the recipes and I am sure my cake will taste like perfection but will be no where near as beautiful as yours. Congratulations and thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is simply beautiful! What a sweet post too! You are so talented and I enjoyed all of the amazing photography! I am visiting you today from Lil' Luna's link party but I would be honored if you would come by my site and link this post up at Party In Polka Dots as well! I have a cupcake, cake, and party blog and this is such a great fit!

    http://www.piggyinpolkadots.com/2013/04/party-in-polka-dots-link-party-19.html

    Thanks so much for sharing!

    Shelley

    www.piggyinpolkadots

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for linking up your cake! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so, so pretty! I love the small size, the coloring, the banner, and everything! I need to make one of these. Thanks so much for sharing! Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely gorgeous! I'd like to invite you to share this or any of your projects on The Inspiration Board at my blog homework. My readers would swoon over this cake and your styling is superb! http://carolynshomework.blogspot.com/2013/04/the-inspiration-board-link-party-99.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. How beautiful is that!!! This would be a huge hit!

    Stopping by from Piggy In Polka Dots Party. following :)

    Alexis from Running Away? I'll Help You Pack!

    ReplyDelete
  12. so very pretty with all the charm any mom would love come see what we shared at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful pictures and post :) Tjanks for sharing with us at Creative Mondays ...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Both recipes sound delicious and your pictures are wonderful. I would love for you to share at Transformed Tuesday. I know my readers would love your recipes. http://pjhdesignsoneofakind.blogspot.com/2013/04/transformed-tuesday-35-features.html

    Hope you have time to stop by.

    Hugs,
    Peggy~PJH Designs

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this Ellya. It is really beautiful and feminine. You can see the love and care that you put into this cake and the heart detail on the napkin. I only wish your mum could be there with you to see your wonderful creativity first hand.

    Thanks for commenting on my blog today, it's so lovely to meet new bloggers!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is utterly breathtaking! Pinned and in love :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a beautiful cake!! I have a feeling I won't be receiving anything nearly as pretty on Mother's Day!;) Thanks so much for coming out to the party at Clean and Scentsible. I'll be featuring this tomorrow. Happy Sunday!
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your cake is being featured on Party In Polka Dots! Be sure to come check it out tomorrow!!

    Shelley

    www.piggyinpolkadots.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful cake! Love the roses and the mini banner. They add such a festive flair! I have recently learned embroidery as well, love your french knot heart! You tube is great, isn't it? You can learn anything! Cheers, Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  20. That looks amazingly tasty!! And, so pretty, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. How beautiful! Thank you for joining Home Sweet Home.
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is such a beautiful cake & photography. I'd love to have you come by sometime & if you like link up anytime @ DearCreatives.com each week a party starts new on Fridays!I found you via a hop. Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  23. This has gone to be one of the prettiest cakes that I have ever seen.
    Perfect for so many occasions.
    Thank you so much for sharing.
    Your newest follower sister, Connie:)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!